Thursday, May 10, 2012

Project Cookbook: Summer Corn & Clam Chowder with Rosemary Biscuits

Similar to my duck recipe, I made this many moons ago (well in February, when heart-shaped biscuits were a perfect Valentine’s Day treat) and am finally just getting around to posting it now! I’ve been a slacker with my 2012 cookbook project, but plan to start stepping it up!

This chowder comes from the Clinton St. Baking Company cookbook. Until now, I haven’t been able to turn the page from my favorite pancake recipe but my friend Jenny, who introduced me to the book, assured me every other recipe is fabulous and I should start with the Corn & Clam Chowder.

She was right, it was delicious and a big hit with Curtis and then again the second night when I brought the leftovers home to have with my mom. It has a nice kick, so if you’re not a fan of spice, I’d recommend using less cayenne.

This is a summer recipe, that I made in the middle of winter. But now that I have it under my belt and know how good and easy it is, when fresh corn season rolls around, I’ll be ready to make summer chowder!

I made heart-shaped rosemary biscuits to go with the chowder, a recipe from one of my favorite food blogs: From The Little Yellow Kitchen and served them with honey butter like they suggested. Honey butter is heaven. And it’s even better paired with savory, salty biscuits!
This isn't a very beautiful photo, but I can assure you the chowder is delicious!

CORN & CLAM CHOWDER
Clinton Street Baking Company Cookbook

Serves 8 to 10

2 cups fresh shucked corn (from about 4 ears) – I used frozen
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ cup chopped raw sliced bacon
3 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
1 whole medium sweet onion, minced
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 small Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into big chunks
2 tablespoons salt and ground white pepper, blended
4 cups clam juice
2 cups chopped clams (frozen or fresh) – I used canned

  1. First, puree the corn: Put 1 cup of the raw corn and ½ cup of the heavy cream in the bowl of a food processor or blender and pulse or blend until pureed. Set aside.
  2. In a medium to large stockpot with a lid, add the olive oil and bacon. Cook on medium to high heat until the bacon is lightly browned and the fat is drawn out. Add the garlic, onion, cayenne pepper, bay leaves, and thyme, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until the onion is translucent and soft.
  3. Sprinkle the flour over the bacon-and-onion mixture. Stir in the butter and mix until the flour and onions are fully incorporated and make a smooth paste (this roux will slightly thicken the base of the soup). Add the potatoes and the remaining cup of corn and cook for another 5 to 7 minutes. Add the salt and pepper and clam juice, plus 2 cups water. Add the chopped clams and bring the soup to a boil.
  4. When the soup is slightly thickened, add the pureed corn mixture and the remaining heavy cream. Do not bring the soup back to a boil. Continue simmering until the potatoes are just cooked. Adjust the seasoning to taste. Remove the bay leaves.

MINI ROSEMARY (HEART-SHAPED) BISCUITS WITH HONEY BUTTER

Makes 12 small biscuits

Ingredients
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon of baking soda
3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
1/2 cup buttermilk

Directions
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Work the butter into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles forms large crumbs. Stir in the rosemary. Slowly add 1/2 cup of the buttermilk using your hands to mix it in and a ball of dough forms. Do not over work the biscuits or they will be tough!
On a lightly floured surface, pat the dough into a circle about 7 inches in diameter and 1/2-inch thick. Using a cut out 12 small biscuits using a small cookie cutter.
Bake until they are lightly golden on top, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve warm.

HONEY BUTTER

Ingredients
4 tablespoons softened butter
2 tablespoons honey

Directions
Using a fork, mash the butter as you stir in the honey. (Forget the fork, I whipped it in my kitchen aid mixer which made it nice and fluffy!)

Recipe #4 from Project Cookbook: My 2012 New Year’s Resolution to cook at least one recipe from every cookbook I own.

4 comments:

  1. It's such a delicious soup. I cannot wait for summer corn either! In fact, I cannot wait for you to come visit me and we can walk to the farmers market and then cook all day long.

    Oh- and the turkey chili is really good from that book. It's so simple and a perfect weeknight meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those little heart-shaped rosemary biscuits! And the chowder sounds delicious! When you make this meal again many moons from now, I want to come over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this last night at Jenny's suggestion and it was fantastic! We loved it! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds absolutely amazing. I can just imagine the flavors coming together beautifully. I know I would enjoy this.

    ReplyDelete