Sunday, November 29, 2009

Pumpkin Chiffon Pie with Praline Crunch


This was my one and only job for Thanksgiving dinner. It's one of our favorite pumpkin pies (next to Costco pumpkin pie) that originated from my Grammy Jean.

Pumpkin Chiffon Pie with Praline Crunch (Grammy Gross)

Ingredients:
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
2 T. rum
1 ½ cup cooked pumpkin
¾ cup brown sugar, packed
½ t. salt
½ t. pumpkin pie spice
1/3 cup milk
3 eggs, separated
1/3 cup sugar
½ cup sour cream

1. Soften gelatin in rum
2. Combine pumpkin, brown sugar, salt, spice and milk – bring to a boil over low heat stirring often
3. Beat egg yolks. Blend in small amount of hot pumpkin mixture. Cook and stir 2 or 3 minutes after adding egg.
4. Remove from heat. Stir in soaked gelatin until dissolved – chill until filling begins to set
5. Beat egg whites until stiff – gradually beating in sugar. Fold whites and sour cream into pumpkin mixture.

Praline Crunch
¼ cup butter
½ cup sugar
1 cup chopped pecans

Melt butter in skillet. Stir in sugar. Add pecans. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until mixture turns golden, about 3 minutes. Put on the bottom of a baked pie crust. Pour chiffon mixture over and chill.

5 comments:

  1. I am not a big fan of pumpkin pie so maybe I'd like this! I'll try it out next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pumpkin pie with a crunch, sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is right up my ally, I love crunch and pecans, (I was going to say I love nuts but thought it might go downhill)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did it - I made this pie, and it illicited not one but TWO people's praise of "wow, this is the best pumpkin pie I've ever had". This was not an easy pie to make (I'm putting "Easy as Pie" with "sleeps like a baby" in the inane phrases category), but was totally worth it.

    I'd like to request a few additions to the directions:
    1) at what point are you supposed to add the geletain to the rum, because mine was set into a really nasty jello shot by the time I went to add it to the boiled pumpkin and had to start on this part over (unless the answer is, geletain shouldn't set in pure rum, which means the teenager who dog-sat for us filled my rum up with water :) )

    2) how much do the various stages need to set, and what will it feel like when set

    3) how still do the egg whites really need to be?

    4) My crust was not ready after 10 minutes of baking and I had to put it back in - is there some trick to this?

    My only complaint was that it was a bit soft and I wasn't sure if it was because I didn't wait long enough for things to "set" at the various stages. I did leave it in the fridge overnight and it was stiff enough to hold its shape by the time we ate it the next evening.

    Thanks Emily & Grammy Jean!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the first time I've made it and I had a few issues as well - I'll bring my mom into this and get her feedback. And I do agree it's not super easy.

    1. My Jell-O / rum mixture was also a Jell-O shot but I used it anyway
    2. Time to set? I'll ask my mom
    3. I beat the eggs until there were peaks, but didn't let it turn into meringue
    4. I ended up baking the crust quite a bit longer

    ReplyDelete