Thursday, July 21, 2011

SE Alaska


Our big summer vacation this year was joining my parents on their Selene for a two week leg of their SE Alaska adventure. We flew into Wrangell, cruised north and then around Baronof Island and ended up in Sitka. This is the first year we didn’t bring Murray on a boat trip with us because 1.) We didn’t want to put him on a commercial flight and 2.) We weren’t sure how the grizzlies would feel about sharing their beaches with a big yellow dog.

It was an incredible trip. The beautiful landscape, waterfalls, ice bergs and wildlife took our breath away! And as always it was so much fun to be on the boat with my parents, brother, sister in law and nephew. Between all the seafood we hauled in and my mom’s cooking, we ate like royalty! We came home with over 1,000 photos so it was hard to narrow it down, but here are a few!

Highlights of the places we stayed

The crew celebrating 4th of July in Wrangell

Awesome small town parade

One of the best firework shows we've ever seen!






Tracy Arm and South Sawyer Glacier








Bergie bits make great cocktails!



Pybus Bay ~ Cannery Cove


Peregrine breakfast tart

Red Bluff Bay (Baranof Island)
We were probably going much closer to these guys than we should have been, but lucky for us they were nice and we made it out alive.

Have you ever seen a bear paw?








Captain Curtis

Alaska Highway System ~ Warm Springs Bay

Hot springs overlooking the waterfall


Fishing with Granddad

Mmmmm, salmon burgers!

I've watched this bear video Curtis took about 100 times but I still giggle every time I see it!

10 comments:

  1. Un-freaking-believable! Outstanding photographs- that bear paw is amazing! I am jealous- what an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That video is priceless! Hee hee! I agree with Jenny - the bear paw is AWESOME! Great photos -it looks like such a wonderful place! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a fantastic trip and I would love to see all 1000 photos some day. Those bears! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No really, what National Geographic mag did you steal these from? ;) Amazing trip! I love the eagle shot! Sold, I'm going to Alaska.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks and sounds like such an amazing trip, and truly, your photos are amazing. It inspires me to maybe think about purchasing a real camera some day! Love the heart firework!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What an exciting looking trip! Looks like such a great time! And really impressive bear/eagle/wildlife photos. Sarah and I took the ferry to SE Alaska out of Bellingham for our honeymoon, so we both have a real soft spot for that area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This trip looks so cool! Thanks for documenting and sharing with us! I love love love bears, I think they are adorable. I almost wish they could give me a big bear hug, rather than eat me alive...but alas, that probably won't happen.

    Ps. awesome picture of the crayfish and the beer bottle! That thing is huge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like a fantastic trip. You guys did get close to the bears!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those pictures are amazing! You could make greeting cards out of some of them. What a cool experience. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pics and looks like a fun vacay. Too bad you don't live in MKE! I feel like our hubbies should be best friends with their outdoorsy habits and yellow labs.

    ReplyDelete