Thursday, January 5, 2012
Whiskey BBQ Blue Cheese Sliders
From the moment I read The Pioneer Woman’s recipe for Spicy Whiskey BBQ Sliders I’d been craving a burger. This recipe did not disappoint, both Curtis and I were huge fans.
I followed Ree’s recipe (which is super easy), except I added a big chunk of blue cheese on top of each ground beef patty. Next time, to make sure these burgers live up to their spicy name, I'll kick it up a notch and add in a few squirts of Sriracha sauce.
Even though the jalapenos didn't deliver a ton of spice, the flavor was awesome, in fact these little burgers rocked! I normally cover my burgers in ketchup, but for the first time ever I didn’t use one drop. They were that good. I’ll be making them again, and again!
SPICY WHISKEY BBQ SLIDERS
The Pioneer Woman
2 pounds Ground Meat (beef, Bison, turkey)
Salt and Pepper
4 Tablespoons Butter
1 whole Large Onion, Diced
½ cup Whiskey
1 cup Barbecue Sauce
¼ cup Jarred Jalapeno Slices
12 whole Slider Buns or Dinner Rolls, Split
1. Form the meat into 12 (or so) miniature patties and salt and pepper them on both sides.
2. Melt the butter in a skillet (I used cast iron) over medium-high heat and cook the patties until just about done in the middle, approximately 3-4 minutes per side (Because we like living on the edge and don’t enjoy eating “hockey puck” burgers, I cooked them just under 3 minutes per side, which resulted in nice pink, medium-rare, centers.).
3. Remove the patties from the skillet and set aside. Drain off all but 2 tablespoons of grease, then return the skillet to the stove.
4. Add the diced onions to the skillet and stir to cook, about 3 minutes.
5. Poor in whiskey and stir. Allow the whiskey to reduce by half, about 2 to 3 minutes, then stir in jalapenos and the barbecue sauce. (And if you like it spicy hot, add in some juice from the jalapeno jar and maybe a few squirts of Sriracha sauce.
6. Reduce the heat to low and place the patties in the barbecue sauce, turning to coat. Allow the patties to simmer in the sauce until everything’s hot and bubbly.
7. Place the patties on individual buns and be sure to spoon extra sauce (with the jalapenos!) over the top of each burger. Also add a thick slice of blue (or your favorite) cheese before topping with the other half of the bun.