Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Project Cookbook: Blackberry Cobbler

My darling neighbor called me out for not sticking with my New Year's resolution. I'll admit, I've been a huge slacker, but would still like to cook my way through all my cookbooks and plan to be back at it this fall. And into next year!

I picked Tanner Road (neighborhood) blackberries and was tempted to run to the Internet for a recipe, but stopped myself and pulled a classic off the cookbook shelf: Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook.

It delivered. A simple and delicious recipe for cobbler! And I made this back in August, but the blackberry bushes in our neighborhood are still loaded. So it's not too late! Or this recipe could be used with virtually any kind of fruit. And it's especially good warmed up and served with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Blackberry {Fruit} Cobbler

1 cup flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
1/4 cup butter
5 cups fresh or frozen blackberries, cherries, rhubarb, blueberries, peaches, apples or pears
2/3 cup sugar
1 TBSP cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1 egg
1/4 cup milk

Vanilla ice cream

1. For the topping, in a medium bowl stir together flour, the 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon. Cut in butter till mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
2. For filling, in a saucepan combine 2/3 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon cornstarch. Add 1/4 cup water. Stir in 5 cups fresh or frozen blackberries. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly.
3. In a small bowl stir together the egg and milk. Add to flour mixture, stirring just to moisten. Transfer filling to a 2-quart square baking dish. Using a spoon, immediately drop topping into small mounds atop filling.
4. Bake cobbler in a 400 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or till a wooden toothpick inserted into topping comes out clean. Serve warm with ice cream.

Recipe #8 from Project Cookbook: My 2012 (and beyond!) New Year’s Resolution to cook at least one recipe from every cookbook I own.

1 comment:

  1. It's okay. You're forgiven for neglecting Taco Tuesday as long as you're still posting for BATF. This cobbler looks pretty easy and really yummy! I need to get the urge to bake...

    ps: I also discovered the TJ's blog on your sidebar so thanks for that little gem!

    ReplyDelete