Sunday, October 30, 2011

Lemon Herb Lamb Chops


Here’s recipe #3 from our Silverdale weekend. My mom made this lamb for us on our Alaska boat trip and Curtis and I were hooked. Ever since we’ve made it for about every special occasion we can conjure up. It’s a great recipe because you do all the hard work, cutting and trimming the lamb and making the marinade, the day before. Then when it’s go time you just throw them on the grill, 2-3 minutes a side, and BAM! You have an amazing dinner!

So since we looooove lamb, this is what I requested for my birthday dinner at my parent's house. My mom served it with ricotta gnocchi, Megan's rosemary butternut squash and salad. Curtis’ mom and Leroy joined us and my dad popped open a bottle of 1978 wine to celebrate my birth year - don’t bother doing the math, that’s a 29 year old bottle!


The Sommeliers

The Skinny Chef

Molly & Leroy



Lamb Chops with Lemon

Michael Symon / Bon Appetit

3 large shallots, minced
6 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
6 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
6 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon sugar
24 lamb rib chops (from three 1 1/4-to 1 1/2-pound racks of lamb, cut between bones into individual chops - We get ours at Costco)
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel
1 tablespoon salt
Black pepper
Fresh oregano sprigs (for garnish)

Mix minced shallots, chopped mint, chopped oregano, minced garlic, sugar, and 1 tablespoon salt in small bowl. Press 1 rounded teaspoon shallot-herb mixture onto eye of each lamb chop. Turn chops over onto large rimmed baking sheet. Press remaining shallot- herb mixture onto eye of each chop. Cover lamb chops with sheet of plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Whisk olive oil, lemon juice, and lemon peel in small bowl until slightly thickened and well blended. Season lightly with salt and generously with freshly ground black pepper. Spoon oil mixture lightly over chops. Turn chops over and spoon remaining oil mixture over. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour.

Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Grill lamb chops to desired doneness, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer lamb chops to platter. Garnish with fresh oregano sprigs and serve.

6 comments:

  1. Umm... Can you make this for me when I come back to town? This looks absolutely fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, Jen, I consider you coming back to town a special occasion - would love to make it for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look fantastic, and I love the do ahead prep aspect--perfect for entertaining! Can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great occasion to celebrate! Enjoyed th photos......made us all look good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm...I'm still puzzled by your math but I'll let it go. Lol! I need to try more lamb, so invite me over too when Jenny comes into town. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha! We are turning 29 this year? Awesome. I always look to you. I love lamb and have actually never made it so this inspires me. I love that you renamed a food network recipe after me. That is love.

    ReplyDelete